A Perspective from Gaza

Photobucket


This is what a professor had to say in Gaza, where he currently resides:

I STRONGLY believe the United Nations, the European Union, the Arab League--really, the international community at large--have failed the Palestinian people.

I think the example of the United Nations Security Council resolution issued yesterday, that called for a durable and respected cease-fire, is a good example. It treats the whole issue as if there are two sides--as if you have two equal armies at war.

Israel has killed more than 830 people and injured more than 3,000 people so far. Israel is a colonizing power. It is based on deep-rooted racism, and it has reoccupied parts of the Gaza Strip. And the Security Council acts as if there are two equal parties that have to declare a cease-fire.

That is why I strongly believe we can't count on the international community any longer. I think the UN Security Council and the international community in general reflect the balance of power, and that balance of power is still in favor of the U.S. and Israel.

I can't separate the United States and American imperialism from Israel and Zionism. And that's why I see the war conducted against us now as part of the Bush Doctrine. This is part of what Condoleezza Rice called "the birth pangs of a Middle East" out of what she called "creative destruction." I think that's exactly what is happening right now.


You can read the full article here. I strongly recommend reading it.

No comments: