So What If It Is A Choice?

An interesting read indeed. Andrew Sullivan, a contributor to The Atlantic, writes in "The Daily Dish" about why WOULDN'T anyone choose to be what they want to be? A captivating idea, but I'm not sure if I exactly like the of playing with nature versus nurture.

The piece below.

---

12 Dec 2008 03:43 pm
So What If It Is A Choice?
by Chris Bodenner

In response to Huckabee and Stewart sparring over gay marriage, Ta-Nehisi writes:

The case for/against gay marriage is hung-up on this idea of choice--i.e. we should frown on gay marriage because it's a deviant lifestyle. Or we shouldn't frown on it because it isn't a lifestyle, it's a biological fact. This is where the comparisons with race come in. But I always hated this argument. Whenever people say, "You should not discriminate against people because they didn't chose to be black," I hear the mild tones of wild liberal condescension.

Implicit in that logic is a kind of judgment, the notion that if I could choose, I obviously would choose to be white. But what if I just like being black? What if I could choose and would still choose black? Ditto for homosexuality. So what if you do choose to be gay? I understand that a lot of the science says you don't, but why do we accept this implicit idea that heterosexuality is, necessarily, what everyone would chose?


To go to the real article, click here.

No comments: