Annie from "A Basement Affair"

So, I must admit that I have been keeping up with "Frank the Entertainer in a Basement Affair," a show I was certain I'd like the least out of all of the "of love" shows Vh1 has cranked out for the past four years. First of all, I've had the least interest in The Entertainer - I was honestly shocked when I found out that 51 Minds thought he was enough of a draw to merit his own show. But when I found out that his parents - two characters who were first featured on "I Love New York 2" - would be making regular appearances on the show, I figured it all out ... it was the "Sister Patterson" appeal that they were trying to replicate.

In any case, I watched the first episode of "A Basement Affair" as I do with most of the Vh1 shows and was actually quite surprised by how much it drew me in - and not because of the Entertainer specifically, but because of Annie, a character who seemed particularly out of place. I remember seeing her cast photo...:

Photobucket


... and thinking, "Jeez, that girl looks a little too hipster to be on this show." And I was right. On Vh1.com, they've found a bunch of dirt on Annie - but none of it is akin to Jenny's scandelous photo that got her kicked off this last episode. In fact, this "dirt" happens to be really interesting stuff, stemming from her proclamations in the first episode that she likes to create video art (to which The Entertainer responds, "Like, video games?")

First up is her website, Scandalishious, in which she goes by the name "Caroline" and writes feminist movie reviews, dances to music on Youtube in lingerie, and creates music. When I first found out about this, I figured she was another Vh1 girl looking for fame in all the wrong places, but what I found out next was even more intriguing, and far more interesting.



Next up, the Vh1 blog released an article that Annie had written from Bust regarding her time on "A Basement Affair," and how she originally signed up to “to do a wacky performance piece, attempting to play up the ridiculousness that is reality television and the characters it produces, a satire on a genre that is already a satire of itself. I was interested in the way reality television is reproducing female stereotypes at an alarming rate—using ‘real’ people to validate these stereotypes’ existence.”



Whoa, crazy shit! I was totally psyched to read the piece, but it only becomes more interesting from here - Annie says that her mission ended up becoming increasingly unclear as a real development and interest in Frank began to emerge. She says that it became harder and harder to distinguish herself from her "Famewhore" counterparts because of this.

Read the full article here, and enjoy some of Annie's music below:

MY BUTT OFFICIAL VID from caroline b on Vimeo.

No comments: