Conversations about directions

So, I spoke with Angela on the phone last night and became a little disheartened with our conversation. You see, Angela is one of my brilliant best friends who lives out in San Francisco who just gradated from UC Berkeley. She is committed to her schooling, devoted to her friends, and altogether a pretty awesome person. But she was telling me how hard it has been to get a job out in San Francisco, even with a degree.

Its hard to see my friends struggle with their paths. Its easier to deal with my own disorientation because I've always felt somewhat together - my parents put me on the college path since I was enrolled for classes back in preschool, so I never thought any different. But what happens when college is over? What happens when you have a degree and can't get a job?

And its only getting harder. With the economy beyond the shithole and resting with the sewer alligators, its only getting more competitive, people are waiting longer to get good jobs, and its feeling more hopeless.

According to csmonitor.com:

Harrington is one of 1.5 million college grads expected to have a harder time landing a job this year as the United States slides deeper into recession. Although the job market continues to expand, its growth rate has slowed to the lowest in five years as employers gauge how the economy will take shape in the months ahead. If current trends persist, some workplace experts say, college graduates will continue to face an increasingly shrinking job market.

Its all over the news. Its all over my friend's faces. Its so sad that the government can't provide my friends with the rewards, the jobs that they've earned, that they deserve. Its too bad that so many people in this country don't think anything is wrong. It really undermines our accomplishments as a country, and our accomplishments as individuals.

No comments: